Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Building Soil

So after work today I rushed back to get a little work done before I had to pick up Simmey and get supper ready. So I spent an hour or so cutting down trees, trimming the trunks and carrying them down hill to line the hillside veggie beds - 8 beds, 60-50ft long & 4 ft wide. I got curious to see what my soils been up to. I ran chickens over the beds in tractors last fall and before that added a good bit of compost and manure in the spring. So here's what's happened in the meantime.
So you can see the mixing that's occurred thanks to worms and other critters. The reddish bits are clay, the black is composted organic matter that's become soil. Not bad considering the erosion issues and the fact that 2 years ago this was straight clay.

Wonder what it'll be like in 5 or 6 years?

No comments:

Post a Comment