Wednesday, November 18, 2009

New Roosters

Our hens have been without a rooster for a couple of months, ever since our wonderful rooster, Red, died. I think every flock of range poultry needs a gentlemanly rooster or two. Here are my reasons which are pure opinion based on observation:
  1. Order - a good rooster is the flock leader. Squabbling between hens seems to be much less with a rooster in charge.
  2. Locating the flock - in our pasture we're restoring, having a crowing rooster helps both me and adventurous hens locate the flock when it's not obvious
  3. Fertility - you can hatch your own chicks. This is really easy with a broody mama hen.
  4. I like roosters - they strut, they crow, they tackle hens in torrid spats of (brief) passion
So some of our friends up the holler raise hens, and had some excess roosters that they begged us to take. I picked them up this morning before work. They are beautiful Rhode Island Reds. When I introduce birds to an existing flock, I always do it at night. From experiance, any sex of chicken introduced during the day ends up getting it's butt kicked by every bird in the flock, or chased into the woods to be a bobcat snack. Introduced at night, the squabbling isn't too bad.

Thier business is the ladies and business is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment